- Master of Laws in Taxation (LLM), University of San Diego School of Law
- Juris Doctor, University of San Diego School of Law
- BA (English), Cum Laude, Chapman University
Awards & Certifications
Specialist in Taxation Law – California Board of Legal Specialization
- 2021 – Super Lawyers, Southern California Super Lawyers
- 2021 – Top Attorneys: Southern California Top Attorneys
- 2020 – Super Lawyers, Southern California Super Lawyers
- 2016, 2017, 2018 – Super Lawyers, Southern California Rising Star
- 2017, 2018 – Top Attorneys: Southern California Rising Stars
- 2017, 2018 – Top Attorneys: Top Women Attorneys Rising Stars in Southern California
- 2016 – Los Angeles Magazine, Southern California’s Top Young Women Attorneys
- 2015- Coast Magazine, Orange County Top Attorneys List
Lisa O. Nelson joined the Law Offices of A. Lavar Taylor in 2013 and becoming the firm’s first partner in 2016. Lisa is a Certified Tax Law Specialist in California and has devoted her practice to advocating for her clients in tax controversy matters.
Lisa specializes in handling income tax audits, collection matters, international compliance matter, payroll tax matters, and analysis of discharge of taxes through bankruptcy, sales tax audits, worker classification audits, and administrative hearings. She also has extensive background in representing individuals and small business owners from all walks of life and industries before the Internal Revenue Service, Franchise Tax Board, Employment Development Department, California Department of Tax and Fee Administration, and the newly implemented Office of Tax Appeals. Lisa works tirelessly with her clients to develop an optimum strategy in efficiently resolving their tax disputes.
Lisa is also dedicated to giving back to the legal community and is a founding tax lecturer of the UCI’s Inaugural Graduate Tax Program. She also was a Professor at the Dale E. Fowler Chapman School of Law-Chapman University, where she taught Federal Income Tax Research to budding attorneys. Additionally, Lisa has served as the Chair of the California State Bar Income and Other Taxes Section, as well as the Orange County Bar Association Taxation Section, where she was integral in providing education seminars to tax professionals.
Publications & Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, “Income Tax Update: 2018 at a Glance,” California Lawyers Association Annual Income Tax Seminar at Dale E. Fowler School of Law- Chapman University, 2018.
- Speaker, “The New Partnership Rules and How it Affects Taxpayers from both a Planning and Tax Controversy Perspective,” OCBA Taxation Section, 2018.
- Amending and Aligning the IRS International Penalty Structure, 157 Tax Notes 113, 2017, referenced by Taxpayer Advocate in 2017 Annual Report to Congress.
- Speaker, “Employment/Payroll Tax Controversy Update,” Beverly Hills Section of CalCPA, 2017.
- Speaker, “Community Property Law Tax Issues,” RJS Law-USD School of Law Tax Institute, 2017.
- Speaker, “Payroll Tax Penalty & Compliance Update: Understanding and handling the stepped up IRS enforcement in this area,” Beverly Hills Section of CalCPA, 2016
- Speaker, “Income Tax Annual Update,” State Bar Income & Other Tax Committee’s Annual Income Tax Seminar, 2015
- Speaker, “Payroll Taxes: Can You Ever Recover From The Trust Fund?,” Orange County Enrolled Agents, 2015
- Estate of Miriam M. Warne v. Commissioner of I.R.S., T.C. Memo 2021-17 (Feb. 18, 2021)
- Nebeker v. Commissioner of I.R.S., T.C. Memo 2016-155 (Aug. 16, 2016)